(Click Here to go to All Wise County Headstone Pictures Online)
Paradise Cemetery - Updated
Click the buttons below to go to new cemetery map and layout order.
Click 'Headstones' to go to data and the new headstone pictures.
(2011 - The Paradise
Cemetery Association has a web page with updated information -
See page http://readychurchwebs.com/paradisecemetery )
Paradise Cemetery is located on the Northwest edge of town. Turn off Hwy 114 on Honeysuckle Drive and then turn left on Pecan Street.
The 1552 headstones were surveyed and photographed in December of 1999.
In the spring of 2012, Dustin Campbell took pictures of all of the headstones in the newer sections of the cemetery. In the other sections he also took pictures of headstones with a date of 2000 or newer. There are now 1,808 headstones and 2,285 headstone pictures (old and new). The new pictures are larger and better quality than the old original photos. Click on the 'Headstone' button for these images.
Pictures of the gates taken in 2012
There are 2 Historical Markers in the cemetery. The text and some pictures follow:
George Lafayette Ramsdale (1820 1884)
George Lafayette Ramsdale (1820 1884) was a native of Devonshire, England. By 1836, he had come to Texas and enlisted in the army during the war for independence from Mexico. After the revolution, Ramsdale, his wife, Elizabeth (1825 1909) and their children lived in Harrison, Rusk, Houston, and Bosque Counties. During the Civil War, he served the Confederacy by protecting the frontier. The family moved to Wise County in 1866, where he farmed and operated a tannery. His military service, adventuresome spirit, and community leadership are significant examples of the states pioneer heritage.
Pictured above is a fenced area in Section 5 with the headstones of Lawrence,
U.C.V., A.J. Baker, and Wesley Cook. Row 11 runs through this fenced area.
In 1999 there were some fenced headstones in the large area to the south. Because this section was so large, a string of baler twine was run through it to divide it into Sections 7 and 8. This string went from east to west through the center of the section just to the south of a fence that is not longer there. See picture of old fence below and cemetery section map by clicking the 'Grave Location' button at the top of this page.